Sunday 13 April 2014

FingerFood's Theme Buffet - Fishtail

 Hi guys, sorry for my absence yesterday, I was hoping to get a post up for you guys but I was so tired after work I just crashed!  Anyway, today is Sunday, which means another prompt in FingerFood's Theme Buffet, and this week it's fishtail..................


This is a style of nail art I've never tried before, unless you count a failed attempt on one false nail over a year ago, which honestly, I don't :p It wasn't that I didn't know how, it was just one of the many things I hadn't gotten around to trying yet. (There's a lot of them!)  So, when it came to selecting my colours, I wanted to make it as easy on myself as I could, so I chose light colours, with good opacity, and also a similar brush size/shape:- Revlon Top Speed - Cupid, LaFemme - Ice Blue Cream and Headline Colours - Poolside Party.  I used Cupid as a base, and started adding stripes of each colour one at a time.
Whilst I wouldn't call this mani a fail, I could really do with a bit more practice at this technique - some of the braids aren't very centered, and the stripes get thinner and thinner the further away you get from the cuticle. I also managed to make a big pink smudge down the side of my pinky nail during clean-up - whoops!  Hopefully I can work on that next time I try this technique, but I'm pretty pleased with this as a first proper attempt.
What do you guys think?  Don't forget to feast your eyes on the rest of this weeks buffet in the thumbnails below :)




20 comments:

  1. This looks great and the colors are lovely! I tried this out for the first time today too, can't say I'm a fan of the technique haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! It is pretty time consuming isn't it? :) xx

      Delete
  2. I think this turned out amazing <3 I know we're all always overly critical of our own work, but I can't tell anything is off-center, and I didn't even notice the pinky smudge until you pointed it out - and even then I had to really look for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Manda :) It's true, we are our own harshest critics! xxx

      Delete
  3. I haven't done a fish tail in ages! Or at least so far this year. LOL Yours came out just fine for something you haven't actually done on your nails before! Many peeps think there's no difference between painting somebody else's nails or painting on fake nails and painting on one's own nails. There is a big difference! So any technique you can do on yourself is a small victory. <3

    If you use a small flat head paint brush with a round tip, it doesn't matter what size the bottle brushes are when you do this technique or the cloud technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks hun! It is a lot harder on your own nails, you can't twist and turn them so each line is easier to paint, you just have to come in at an awkward angle instead, and try and keep a steady hand!
      It did cross my mind, but I'm so lazy at cleaning my brushes after a mani, I always leave it to dry out then it's a lot harder to shift - I'm my own worst enemy lol :) xxx

      Delete
    2. I use a sponge jar with acetone to take my polish off. It doubles as my nail art brush cleaner. LOL I don't soap & water wash my nail art brushes, I just make sure the polish is all off. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks hun! Was it you that won Kerrie's giveaway? If it was, congratulations hun <3 xxx

      Delete
    2. Yeah it was! So many indie polishes! Thanks :D

      Delete
  5. Love the colours you used!
    So pretty :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful manicure... I don't think I can do this lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful manicure... I don't think I can do this lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks hun. I think they key is to be patient and take it slowly with this technique. I get the feeling it might be a bit easier with a striping brush so you can get straighter lines too :) xx

      Delete
  8. I love the colours and its a stunning first attempt (but then again anything you have a go at is amazing!)! I've totally cheated with this prompt but haven't shared it yet lol xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you sweetie! I can't resist pink and teal together, but I normally use purple too, so it was nice to mix it up a bit for this one. I'm really intrigued to see what you did now though, you never cheat ;) xxx

      Delete
  9. Yay Misha! :D I'm really glad it was you, I remembered you don't have a lot of indies so it's great that you'll get to try so many now :D xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you guys think! There's no captchas, and you don't need an account to comment!
All comments are moderated by me, so I will always try to respond as soon as possible : )