Tuesday 17 June 2014

Barry M Swatch Spam - Cancun, Rhossili and Malibu

Hi guys! Today I have a little bit of swatch spam for you.  As most of you already know, Barry and his M have been very busy with new releases recently, amongst which were the new summer Matte's.  They released a total of 6 shades, of which I picked up 3......



First up is Cancun, a gorgeous deep, vivid teal with a semi matte finish.  In these swatches I'm wearing 2 coats with no top coat.  The formula on these matte's is very different from the coffee shop matte's - it's a lot thinner, and doesn't dry quite as matte, but still a little flatter than they look in my photo's.  The harsh lighting tends to make them look a little shinier :/
Despite being thinner I found this polish easy to control, and didn't need to do too much clean up afterwards.  The dry time was nice and fast too which is always a bonus.
Just a lovely polish all round really, and such a stunning shade of teal.  Definitely a winner in my book!

Next up is Rhossili, which is a vibrant magenta that borders on purple.  I've seen a few swatches floating around the blogisphere where this looks like a hot pink, but it's not :D  This was a hard polish to photograph, but the colour you see here is pretty accurate.
The formula on this was pretty similar to Cancun; fairly thin, easy to control, has a semi-matte finish, and dries quickly.  I did find that where I'd done very thin first coats on the ring and pinky nail, I needed a third thin coat to get the colour completely even, but 2 regular coats were enough for the other nails.
I love pinks and purples, and this polish is no exception.  I don't think I have anything similar in my stash either, which is always a bonus :D

The third shade I picked up was Malibu, a bright cyan/sky blue, that is a little deeper in colour than my photos would suggest.  I don't always go for colours like this but I really love this one.  It's just so bright and happy :)
The formula on this was also really nice, smooth application, great opacity at 2 coats, quick dry time and a semi-matte finish.  I'm not sure if this is actually a stainer, but it is very pigmented so it might be best to double up on base coat.  I didn't bother, as I can barely leave my polish on for a whole day without getting bored and wanting to paint something else :) No staining to report as such, but I did have a bit of a job shifting the colour from my cuticles so......
Another winner then :D

Overall I'm really happy with all 3 of these shades.  They're all unique to my collection, and apply without any tears or tantrums.  I bought mine from Superdrug, as I wanted the free limited edition blue, but you can also buy Barry M at their website, Boots and Tesco.

Also, I have exciting news - I changed my nail shape!!!!! I snapped a corner off my ring finger a few days ago, and since I'd been thinking about trying almond shape for a while, I had nothing to lose.  Here they are: (wearing A-England - Order of the Garter)
I know that almond is not for everyone, but I really like them! I think my nails will be stronger like this too - all my breaks are corner breaks, but now there are no corners!  Plus, I won't have to be repulsed by the curling that always happens to my index finger.  Not to mention how much easier it is to use my hands now.  I thought having points on the end of them would make it harder, but I couldn't have been more wrong.  Even typing is easier!

So what I'm wondering now is, would it bother you guys too much if I posted some almond, and some square mani's over the next few weeks.  I don't like to be inconsistent if I can help it, but I have a couple of mani's on this shape that I'd like to post before the other ones sitting in the vault.  What do you guys think?

And while you're at it why not let me know what you think of the new Barry M Matte's.  Do you own any of them? If so, do you love them? If not, why not?  


10 comments:

  1. Love Malibu, the colour is just lovely. May have to go buy it now. My wallet thanks you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, at least they're Barry's so they won't hit poor wally wallet too hard :p it is a bit deeper and more vivid in real life, but still insanely pretty! for some reason these were really hard to get colour accurate :/ xx

      Delete
  2. Oh! Me likey your new nail shape...a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks hun! I guess they really are claws now :D How you been anyway sweetie, I feel like we haven't talked in forever!? xxx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous swatches! And that new nail shape suits you! I don't mind seeing a mix of the straight and new claw mani's in the next weeks, so bring 'em on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the barrym mattes I have two to try atm. I like the new shape :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun! Ooooh, which ones do you have? I want the green one now too, wakiki is it? Looks lush! :D xx

      Delete
  5. These mattes are very pretty. I skipped by them in Superdrug the other day! I may just have to go back.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh, I really want to grab the rest now - like I need to add more to my wishlist ;) xx

      Delete

I would love to hear what you guys think! There's no captchas, and you don't need an account to comment!
All comments are moderated by me, so I will always try to respond as soon as possible : )